Welcome to my blog where I share my personal recipes with my friends and the public. Take a look at my recipes and let me know what you think. Recipes are added everyday so come on back and take a look. Thanks for stopping by.

Monday, January 5, 2015

Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Chicken

One of my favorite Chinese recipes is sweet and sour chicken, but I don’t always have the time to make it the traditional way so making it in a Slow Cooker is very convenient and much easier.  Below is my recipe for making some delicious sweet & sour chicken that is made in a slow cooker.  If you will notice I only put my vegetables in towards the end and only cook them for 45 minutes.  I found if they cook any longer they are simply over cooked.


Ingredients:

1/2 cup of vegetable broth
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of white sugar
1/3 cup of cider vinegar
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
3 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 garlic clove, crushed and minced
1 tablespoon of grated fresh ginger
3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1/3 cup of vegetable broth
1/3 cup of cornstarch
3/4 cup of diced pineapple chunks
1 medium onion cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1 medium green pepper, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1 medium  red  bell pepper, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
cooked rice

Instructions:

You will want to add the 1/2 cup of vegetable broth, brown sugar, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce, tomato paste, garlic, and ginger into your slow cooker and mix together.  Then add in your chicken and mix your ingredients together to coat your chicken.  You should then turn your slow cooker on low and let it cook for 5 hours.

After your chicken has cooked for 5 hours take a small bowl and add in your 1/3 cup of vegetable broth and your cornstarch and whisk them together.  You will then want to add your cornstarch mixture into your slow cooker and stir it in being careful not to break your chicken pieces.  Now add in your pineapple, onion, green bell pepper and red bell peppers and carefully add your vegetables into your slow cooker.  Now simply cover your slow cooker and cook on low for another 45 minutes.

You will want to serve your sweet & sour chicken over cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment